Wednesday 17 June 2009

Responsibility

Oh what a lovely city we live in. I work on the Lisburn Road in Belfast and last night over 100 men, women, children and babies were forced to leave their homes. Why? because they were Romanians.

Our radio shows including Stephen Nolan will rightly today be dominated by this but what will that achieve? Most of the comments on the show will be opposed to this activity whilst one or two idiots who have no idea of what they are talking about will support the thugs who do this.The thugs who do this do not listen to the Nolan show. But they are known. By an large these people are known by the police.

Extra patrols? this has to be the most pathetic response to this kind of activity. The Police have a responsibility to protect the public when are they going to enforce this? Last time I saw a police officer they had several options (non lethal) from tear gas to batons - whilst this may be distasteful to some lets ask the parents of the 5 day old baby what they think after all they are the only people with a real right to comment in this situation. The police have video cameras on their trucks and if the BBC can show pictures that reveal faces are we seriously suggesting the police cant capture the same images?

Politicians and church leaders will come out today and say look at the response we have made to this giving shelter and food as well as condeming this activity which by the way is highly commendable. They will also say the people of Belfast are against this. Are we? How many of us will protest? How many of us will keep watch? How many of us will chase away these idiots?

Or as is more likely will we shake our heads say what a terrible thing and do nothing. Even protests at City Hall against murders of soldiers that threaten to take us back to the bad old days what were there 1-2000 people? and while this goes on the arrogant, stupid and busy try to walk over people making a dignified protest. Hardly a major statement from a population of 1.8million people or even 5million.

This society will not change or improve until the vast majority of ordinary people do something I for one will not be holding my breath? The following is just a reminder

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

No comments: